Thursday, March 26, 2009

$$$ back!

Just my luck...I guess you could say it's not a bad thing but if you want a price drop, ask me to buy something that I don't usually buy like, let's see...a microwave oven?? Or a toilet? In the last couple of months, I've bought both of the above along with my regular groceries. Well, last month, I got a price adjustment of about $71 (with tax) on the toilet that we bought in January. This same toilet is in their Spring Savings coupon book and it's an additional $30 off next week. The thing is that at only one location is the price marked down by $71. I wondered if they would hike the price back up to $239.99 and before the $30 off but CS didn't know. I asked why the price difference between two stores and I was told that the managers of the each store have the flexibility to markdown items if they aren't moving. In this case, if the price remains the same next week, they told me to bring in the receipts (we have three) and they'll credit us the difference. The great thing about this price reduction was that it was not a -$30 on the sign so if you didn't know your prices and not in the market for a toilet, you would never have known. By the way, this same toilet just last summer was about $159 so the price was really inflated like a lot of other items they carry over the last few months. I'm not sure if it's because of the US$ gaining on us or inflation, but I've noticed quite a few substantial price increases on their products. They slowly creep their way up on us.

So, guess what again? Today when I went, the microwave oven that I bought for $187.99 was $30 off! It's a good thing I make a habit of keeping receipts forever so I could just dig one out at anytime. I will be going to Costco for my 30 bucks before April 4th! And maybe another $30 x 3 for the toilets, too!! See, it does pays to look around sometimes!!


**TIP**Something else that people don't always think about when shopping. If an item is on coupon, your savings is only the dollar amount on the coupon after the item is taxed. Therefore, if you have a tube of toothpaste that is regular retail $1, and there is a coupon for $0.50, you will pay $0.63 in the end. When it's a price reduction and the signs show only the reduced price, you just pay tax on the reduced price. Therefore, if the toothpaste was on sale for $0.50, you would only pay $0.57. It makes a huge difference on big-ticket item.

CostoholicAnna

No comments:

Post a Comment